St. Mary School Office

St. Mary’s School has been in the business of educating and preparing tomorrow’s leaders since 1859.

St. Mary’s offers families the option of all-day preschool and all-day Kindergarten along with an extended day option.  Our students come from all over Lorain County, and bussing is provided by the Elyria School District, Midview School District and Keystone School District.  We are providing a top notch private school education to children residing in the Elyria, LaGrange, Grafton, Eaton, and Oberlin areas.

As it has since 1859, a strong emphasis is of course placed on a faith centered education. Christian principles are integrated into the curriculum not only in formal study, but also as a way of life.  This is a welcomed change for families seeking an education that continues beyond math and English, and includes an emphasis on Christian morals and values.
In addition to an education that is second to none in the Lorain County area – St. Mary’s School proudly supports our numerous sporting and extra-curricular programs.

Where most schools leave off – St. Mary’s School of Elyria is just beginning. We do not stop at the basic requirement of a public school – which is to assist students in mastering basic educational skills.  St. Mary’s School takes it to the next level as we prepare our students for their future roles.  Not only do we make every effort through our teaching style to enhance the individual student’s self-esteem, but we work to nurture their leadership skills.  Students are taught self-discipline, and encouraged to foster a responsibility for peace and justice.  Our students do not need to be Catholic to attend St. Mary’s School.  They simply need to be open to a Christian education.  Is St. Mary’s tradition of excellence in Christian education the right fit for your child?  Call our office at 440-322-2808 for additional information, and to arrange a tour or classroom visit.

A Brief History

St. Mary School was founded in 1859. The School was just one room at the rear of the church and had one lay teacher. The sisters of St. Joseph Taught at St. Mary until 1897. Over 300 Sisters of Notre Dame served the school. The Guardian Angel building was built in 1901. The School expanded in 1949 with the Marian Building, 1952 with the Pius x Building, 1975 with the St. Mary Hall, and 2004 with the St. Joseph Building. Elyria Catholic High held classes in the Marian building until the current school was complete.